KeruzoréRaymond KERUZORÉ


BornJun 17, 1949
Châteauneuf-du-Faou, FRANCE
Age74 years old
Size1.73 m
Weight63 kg
Coupe de France (1971 avec Rennes)
France A
Born in the Finistère region of Brittany, Raymond Kéruzoré began his footballing journey as a player, before turning his hand to football management. This technically gifted midfielder began his playing days in 1967 with Stade Rennais, whilst continuing his studies in Chemistry at the University of Rennes. From 1970 onwards, he became a permanent fixture in the Rennes starting line-up, and stayed there for six seasons. During those six years, he would make over a hundred appearances for the Red and Blacks, and was a key figure in the French Cup victory in 1971. In 1973, Rennes were stricken with financial difficulties, and were obliged to sell Kéruzoré to Olympique de Marseille to pay the bills. He struggled to acclimatize in his new club, however, and his season there didn't go particularly well for him, and he would leave after just one year on the South Coast. He returned to Rennes in 1974, but after a misunderstanding with the club's President of the day, he was frozen out of the team during the season, and ended up departing the club for a second time at the end of it. From there, he moved to Laval in 1975, and the visionary playmaker would experience his best days as a player there. At the end of his first season, he had helped his new team to promotion to the First Division, and for the next four seasons, he would shine as Laval enjoyed their golden age. He was even voted "Player of the Century" for Laval. In 1979, he returned home to his native Finistère to sign for Brest, where he would spend two seasons, the latter of which would prove to be disappointing, owing to persistant injury problems. This true midfield maestro would be called up to the French National Team on two occasions. 1981 would be a year of transition for Kéruzoré, who - having left Brest - moved onto Guingamp to take over as Player/Manager of the First Team. When he finally hung up his boots for good, he returned to Brest to become First Team Manager. He was given the call to take on Rennes for the 1987/1988 season to help his former team to get back into the First Division. He achieved that goal at the end of the 1989/1990 season, with Rennes finishing top of their group in the Second Division. But the 1990/1991 season would turn out to be a catastrophe for Rennes and their Manager, finishing the season rock bottom of the league. Mercifully for Rennes, they were saved by the relegation of three other teams for administrative reasons. However, as a result of some misunderstandings between the management team and the players, he was sacked as Manager to be replaced by Didier Notheaux for the 1991/1992 season. He continued his managerial career with Tours (1992/1993) and then Quimper (1994/1997), before a final stop at Carhaix for the 1998/1999 season, at which point he was forced to stop all footballing activities owing to ongoing health issues.